Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I am Pro-choice

Those who know me well already are aware that I'm a very avid supporter of abortion.

It's a position I'm willing to defend and in more than one occasion I have gotten into some pretty serious arguments about the subject.
That said, my opinion is not set in stone and it has happened that my view on abortion is slightly changed after I debate with someone.

I think it's a really interesting topic to discuss and one worth thinking about, especially if you're at the age when you can vote to make abortion legal or illegal; restricted or not. Even more especially if you're sexually mature and sexually active, because there's a chance you will land yourself in a situation where you have to take a stance on abortion.

In any case, I pride myself in having done my research regarding child development, abortion procedure, abortion alternatives and the psychological impact of abortion (though the latter I'd love to know more about, I want to watch Lindsay Ellis' film!). I think I have a firm ground to stand on when I defend abortion, but I have always been willing to listen to the opinions of those who disagree with me.

That being said, I absolutely cannot stand pig-headed pro-lifers, in particular the religious ones.
See if you're going to defend a position that affects people who are NOT part of your religion; then you have to give me an argument good enough for non-believer. If your argument centers around this, then you're not only not doing a good job of defending your position, but you're giving it a reputation of being supported by stupid people. 

I have found a website that sums up everything I hate about poorly-defended pro-life arguments.
It's called Ten Retarded Reasons Why Abortion Scares Me, or at least it should be.
It has everything. Bullshit statistics about breast cancer? Check. Fear-mongering regarding botched abortions? Check. The use of religion as if a logical fact rather than a belief a limited number of people subscribe to? Check. Blame-pushing towards certified gynaecologists? Obfuscating explanation on why abortion somehow destroys the concept of family? Slut-shaming about sex in general? Triple check!
Added bonus: there's also a bit of homophobia thrown in, because apparently I didn't have enough reasons to think the whole list was naive, nonsensical and moronic.

Another thing that really rubs me the wrong way about pro-lifers is that 98% of them seem to come from USA and apparently think that theirs is the only country in the world with legalised abortion or the only one that matters.
Images like this one don't make me sympathetic to your cause, it just makes me think you have an awfully narrow world view. Also, you don't know anything about abortion, or even biology in general (and judging by the label, not even geography).

Abortion is available on request on at least 54 countries in the world, most of them in Europe. If we're going to discuss scientific facts and morality, then the argument applies to countries that allow abortions all over the globe, not just yours. Abortion is a global issue, just like women's rights.

And yet, I don't think all pro-lifers are stupid. People like this lady actually bring forth powerful arguments for their cause that make one think, even if you don't agree with them fully.

I honestly wish most pro-lifers would take a step back and think of how they portray themselves. I honestly think they have a moral point of view that is worth exploring, but most of the time you don't want to because of the way they express themselves.

I leave you with this ethics dilemma I found; to give something more to think about.
Rank the following examples on a scale of 1-10 as less or more morally justified (0 being clearly unethical, 10 being clearly ethical). Or, if you think abortion can’t be justified under any circumstance, rank the cases on the scale of 1-10 as more or less morally repugnant (0 being incredibly abhorrent, 10 being wrong, but not as wrong, relative to the other examples).

1) A pregnant woman will die if she doesn’t abort her 10-week-old fetus. The child suffers from some terrible condition, and will very likely die a painful death soon after birth, if he or she survives delivery.

2) A pregnant woman is considering aborting her 4-month-old fetus because she’s afraid that her abusive husband will leave her if she doesn’t. “You’re getting too fat,” he tells her. “Get rid of that thing or I’m leaving you.”

3) A pregnant woman thought she wanted a baby, but now that she’s 8 and 1/2 months pregnant, isn’t so sure. She’s questioning motherhood because she just won a Caribbean cruise on The Price is Right, and the boat leaves next week. “This baby’s awful inconvenient,” she thinks. “I can just abort this one, go on the cruise, and then get pregnant again when I get back.”

khk

UPDATE
Found two blogs with interesting views:
This one is my someone pro-choice
These two are by someone pro-life
I really had a lost of respect for the second one until the ending, where she says this
"If personhood depends on mental capacity, then I should have more rights than you."
So ALL pro-lifers are automatically more intelligent than pro-choicers by default? Nice job alienating your audience, lady :/


2 comments:

  1. if you don't want or not yet ready to have a baby.. then don't try to have sex with anyone.. as simple as that.. but don't kill an innocent.. for god sake.. you had fun when you are having sex without using any contraceptives, then you should know the consequences that you might face.. what if your mom thinks the way you do b4 she gave birth to you.. what do u think u will feel if u are the unborn child... i have two kids now, and i never think of aborting any of them.. are u the wife of satan.. only devils,and demons can do that..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Ian, because forcing everyone on this planet to remain celibate against their will is totally the solution!

      Sex is wrong! Let's punish everyone who has sex outside of your very narrow definition of an acceptable sexual relationship!

      Sarcasm aside, I'm frankly tired, so very tired of hearing this retarded argument.
      Aren't you aware that:
      a) contraceptives are not 100% effective. A woman can be doing everything in her power not to get pregnant and by bad luck it could still happen to her.
      b) women get raped. One in four women in North America has been sexually assaulted. Do you know four women? One of them has been molested.
      c) we don't live in Victorian England. Women are allowed to have sex for non-reproductive purposes. Women are allowed enjoy sex and have as much sex as they want with as many people as they want. And you don't get to judge them because you're not the Sex Police.
      d) the existence of embryos, zygotes and fetuses does not override the woman's right to decide what goes on with her body. If there is an unwanted entity in her uterus, she has the right to remove it.

      So yeah, your argument that "if you don't want to get pregnant, don't have sex" is bad and you should feel bad.
      It's akin to saying "if you don't want to get into a car accident, don't drive a car or walk near a road ever."

      Guess what? My mother's pro-choice too! What a shocker! The fact that she CHOSE to have children never entered my mind as a possible reason for her being in favour of all women to have the right to decide what to do with their own bodies!

      I would not feel anything, because fetuses are incapable of thinking or even feeling pain.

      I'm kind of worried that you think you can abort your already-born children. Maybe you should see a counselor about that. Or at least ask a nurse to explain you the difference between a fetus and a baby.

      Only devils and demons can have an opinion? Only devils and demons are pro-women's rights?

      Actually, being the wife of Satan would be really cool. Is the term still "wife" if I'm a man?

      Delete